Friday, September 11, 2015

My clothes shouldn't matter.

  Today, I am going to go on a full force feminist rant, after a small update on my health and current events.

  I have been feeling much healthier lately, for that I am so thankful. This Wednesday, I joined my dad for the day to go to the sportsman club he just joined. I will never hunt, simply because I do not like the taste of gamey food and will not eat it, so I will not hunt. My father will. I spend quite a bit of time with my dad and he knows I enjoy shooting (don't worry, I am clear from my 51/50). I really enjoyed my day with him and spending time learning how to use a shotgun, while picking up a new hobby. My dating like is hilariously lame, as usual. Nothing new to report.

  Today, I was feeling the effects of shooting 50 rounds with a 20 gauge shotgun, with a gun that was a wee bit too large. This made me aware of something I already knew-I need to get back into shape. I am currently just skinny-fat. Not hot. Feeling better and stronger, I went out for a light jog in the 80-degree heat. I wore running shorts and running tank top. Now I should not have to worry about what I am wearing or fear for my safe because men do not know how to behave themselves.

  I left the house feeling fine in what I had left in, not having a care in the world or  fearing for my safety, let alone feeling like I would. All I was thinking about was how grateful I was to be exercising and my route for the day. I live in a safe neighborhood with a crime rate that has lowered significantly, that is filled with families. I only went deeper into safety by going into an even safer neighborhood. I was in such a good mood and so confident, until the end. I even said a couple pleasant "hello's" to other women and families jogging on the urban trail I was on (this is so uncommon for me).

  On my way home, about five blocks from my house, I was about to cross the street to enter my neighborhood, when I got harassed to the point of feeling threatened. This is unacceptable. It takes a lot for me to feel like I can not protect myself, especially in the middle of the day surrounded by people. First let me say, it is normal and not something I really pay any attention to if I see someone looking or creeping at me, I simply ignore it, until it gets out of hand. Well, as I was waiting for the walk signal, a car with two men waiting to turn left were yelling out the window at me. I tried to ignore them, but the light was very long and so was the walk signal. I ignored, but they got louder and more aggressive, I simply put my hand up in a "stop" motion while shaking my head no. They got even louder and way more aggressive and persistent, I got angry and flipped them off. I walked off in the other direction pretending I was going come place until I saw them turn down a street. From there I went into a cafe and collected myself, good thing I did because they circled around to find me. I stayed in the cafe and they drove down the street and gave up. I was questioning whether I should call a Lyft, have a friend meet me there or just continue walking home. I continued my way home.

  On my way home, I had two more men yell at me out their windows. One more tried to follow me, so I stopped in front of a neighbors house and shooed him while yelling at him to "Seriously leave me the fuck alone. Can't I just exercise without being harassed!" He waved apologetically and drove off (surprisingly).

  I am going to post a picture of what I was wearing, that I took as soon as I walked in the door. The thing is that it shouldn't matter. I should be able to go anywhere and wear anything without feeling like my safety is at stake. I should be able to wear my form fitting exercise clothes, and the more revealing ones when it is hot out to take care of my health. I am a fairly conservative in the way I present myself, and what I had on I do not consider over the top or too revealing in any way, by any means. I see people wearing things that are far more revealing to work. The fact is, it doesn't matter, it shouldn't matter. No one should feel unsafe or at risk due to their clothing choices. I am appalled by what happened and I am appalled that this happens to regularly and people think that it is acceptable behavior. That being said, I want to thank all the wonderful men I know who are feminist and support the needed changes in behavior in the world. I want to thank the parents who raise young men to respect women. You are making this world a better place, thank you.

1 comment:

  1. I will fix my grammar and spelling errors later. I am still too heated from what happened.

    ReplyDelete